The president that is.
I have been approached by more than one person to consider the open position of PTA President. I am flattered and humbled and scared by this. While simultaneously I am excited, motivated and inspired to lead with GRACE. The humdinger is that this is an offer to consider the position on the Elementary PTA. The school where I will no longer have any children in attendance. I have been joking all year that I will be the presence at the school next year with no kids . I'll be helping with school pictures and not need to fix my own child's collar. No one seemed too bothered by this scenario but maybe that is because I am just a really well trained warm body and I am willing to do whatever is asked. So the fact that I don't drop a kid off there shouldn't really affect my job/volunteer performance.
So, is it weird? Are they just desperate? Can I add something to this organization to the positive? Will parents think it odd to be represented by a person who is not parenting a child at their school? I suppose as president I am really much more of an organizer than a representative really. I rally the troops. They carry out the tasks.
I have already agreed to being the PTA Treasurer at the Middle School next year. This is a job that scares me too but in very different ways. The treasurer has to submit paperwork to the State Comptroller and the US Treasury. That is SCARY to me. You see people on the news going to prison for messing with the Gov't. I would never intentionally defraud the government but the question is could I do it by accident and be held responsible? Gosh I hope not. It is an important job and one that I have gained much respect for this past year as I helped a friend work through the maze.
So back to the presidency position. Like I said, I am flattered that people see me as a leader. I guess all the leadership training is HS and the Marian College Student Council positions are being put to the test right here and now. I am looking upon the position as an opportunity to serve my community. We don't have strong ties to our church, and am not so inclined to become involved in the community of Frisco, I don't think I am ready for that jump yet. I don't have a full-time job and my kids are becoming increasingly independent. I find that PTA responsibilities certainly do impact our family time in the evenings but... by 7 many people in this house are ready for me to the leave for a bit so it kinda works out. I feel like if you are going to put time behind an organization and still want to be able to prioritize your FAMILY at the drop of a hat or say the spike of a fever then PTA should be a pretty forgiving organization to be involved in.
I adore the elementary school that is just 4 short blocks from my home. I see the kids from there constantly as they are my neighbors, we shop at the same grocery store and their mom's are my dear friends. I support the things they do and I want to remain a part of that. I can move forward with my boys. I can support them in middle school and still have this little elementary nugget that is mine. I will see my kinder friends who I bonded with last year, who are now first graders and will next year be second graders! I will have continued reason to interact with my buddies who call me Mrs. Bakery instead of Mrs. Baker. Or those special friends who slip and call me Miss Susan right in the middle of the hall!
I have spoken with Fred about the potential involvement and he, of course, thinks I am a little wonky for wanting to remain involved. However, he does support me in my habits and addictions and realizes that serving and volunteering is good for my soul. When we spoke at lunch time today he made a couple of very reasonable requests. He wants me to look at both PTA positions as jobs and plan a workday for each position. That is surely more easily said than done but may be a good way to carve out the time. He of course wants me to try to limit, within reason, the impact these positions have on our family and I totally get that. He asked for me to look into some technology upgrades that would keep the Treasurer info off my computer hard drive and with his AMAZING tech support that request is more than reasonable. I love that man because he loves me and now I don't have to think any more about buying the foreclosure down the street and moving in with all of the other PTA ladies who's husbands are going to put them out because they do too much. That is such a relief. Good luck girls! I'll be sure to come by when you host GNO.
I guess that I have just convinced myself to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment