Sunday, August 9, 2015

So many words... checking in.

It's been more than 6 months since I've written and that sucks because my word for 2015 is WRITE. Guess I get to recycle that one. It is August 9th and that means that we will celebrate all things William Baker today. The kid brings such JOY to my life and that of so many others. He is a genuinely funny kid. His comedic timing is awesome. His wit is commendable and his ability to make me smile is a BLESSING.  He is also a very moody and sometimes frustrating and completely unmotivated teenager but I still love him more than... peanut butter M&M's.

I feel the need to summarize a bit of the year since I have done such a CRAPPY job of keeping up with the stories.  This post is all over the place but so am I right now. I am scattered but centered these days. It is an interesting place to be. I wouldn't change it for the world.

The Baker family has been intricately involved in the life and battle of Shari Lehmberg vs. Cancer this year. Because Tracy, John, Paige and Jack are our BEST friends in Texas we have jumped in to help and support in any and all ways possible. Fred has been so patient with me as I zip off to the hospital to sit in the ER, or drive kids here, there and yon because Tracy is at chemo or an appt. I have seen Shari FIGHT and I have seen her SHINE and I have also seen her STRUGGLE and CRY and be SCARED. It has been hard.

She is home now, with 24/7 hospice care and family all around. Nothing like a crisis to get people on a plane. She has brought the best people in her life together and I have been blessed to support them during this vulnerable period. Assisting, supporting, rallying and more will be MY battle cry in the coming days and when it is done... I will rest.

Many family members have offered their thanks and appreciation to me in the last few days. Its embarrassing and humbling a bit but certainly appreciated. I keep saying, and absolutely believe, that if I was in the same situation the Romeros would be right beside me as I have been with Tracy.

In and among all of the Shari love we have been dealing with many changes in the Baker house. Nic is a confident driver these days and can be quite helpful when I need a case of water, my tank filled up, or for him to take himself and his brother out to dinner instead of eating cereal.  Will is anxious to get started in Drivers Ed. but I'm not sure when that is going to fit into his busy schedule. He's not really THAT though so we will figure it out. 

We have spent some time this year helping Nic prep for his next BIG move, college. We went on a spring break college tour that was a bit lame, visiting only 2 schools. He loved Rice University in Houston and cut Baylor off his list. Rose Hulman has been on and off the list but after spending 19 days there this summer it was back on the top as of last week. He wants to be an engineer and problem solver like his dad. He wants to putter and build and think outside the box. He can do it!

We are amping up for senior and sophomore years that will begin in 2 weeks. Schedule pickup happens this week and The Rumble is next weekend. I am not in charge of the event which is certainly a blessing considering the events that are consuming the week. At first I was hurt about not being asked to repeat my stellar performance but God knew. He planted the seeds and it has been taken care of. I am grateful.

Fred continues to be all things to all people. Super dad, loving husband, bonus husband/fix-it man to Tracy, and stellar employee. He spent Jan-June managing plant 2 in Mexico while they looked for a new plant manager. He did a great job and was well liked by the employees. He hasn't been to MX much this summer but that will probably be temporary because there are some more big things happening down there as new lines and equipment are added. Lots of job security for sure.

On the home front we have decided to make some investments in our property for a variety of reasons. We got a new fence last week and new garage doors. This week we are getting some driveway work done, may start a new concrete patio and by the end of September should have an outdoor living space that can be enjoyed when it is not 106 degrees outside. We are looking ahead to getting things ready for Nic's graduation next June, projecting some family and friends will make the trip down, as well as updates needed to stay current in the market should we decided to move. Frisco is HOT HOT HOT right now and we feel confident that money into the house will be returned. Yeah for a good investment.

One more thing I'd like to get in print before I move along with my day. It have been an interesting year for me spiritually. I was on the cusp of talking to Pastor Mark about partaking in a believers baptism at Crosspoint this spring. Something made me wait and I am glad I did. I feel like my faith is strong and getting stronger each week but not because of Crosspoint. I have hardly been to services this year for a wide variety of excuses and reasons. I love it when I go but not so much that I am as faithful as I could be. My journey of faith this year has been interrupted a bit by the SCOTUS decision to allow same sex couple to marry in a civil ceremony. This was BIG news and continues to be. It was also very divisive news and has really shown people's true colors on so many things. As my friends and family took sides it was hard to look past what I perceive to be close-mindedness and to some degree hatred of people who just want to love each other. Just as I believe that good people will be in heaven with me and God's will is something I could never begin to understand. Like the fact that I believe my Mormon neighbors and Hindu neighbors and Christian neighbors can all coexist and respect that we are allowed to choose our own path and that ultimately our journey will end in a safe and beautiful place where all good things can be seen, heard and hopefully tasted. Where no one is hungry, no one is without, where the soundtrack of my life and the fruits of my labor will be enjoyed for all eternity.

You see, I don't need a church to feel the way I feel and so I think I am moving on from Crosspoint for now. I felt welcomed there but my own reservations and insecurities lead me to hold back, not get too involved and that seems to have been a good choice for ME for NOW. It's easier to be selfish and move along. And I don't think that is a bad thing. My journey of faith has been interesting in the last 10 years but some of it has been quite stable. I believe in God the Almighty Father. I believe in Jesus, His son and in the gift of the Holy Spirit. I know that they exist and that because I believe He will open His arms wide when it is my turn to enter His kingdom. But in the meantime, my life here on earth will be filled with good people, raising faithful children and enjoying LIFE which is such and amazing gift every day I see the sun.

No comments: