Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Back to work....


Well, just a few weeks ago I posted about how thankful I was that I had been given a choice about working or not when my kids were growing up. Well, at the time I chose to stay home for the most part and now financially contribute to the family beyond spending Fred's hard earned $$$$$$. When we moved to Iowa an opportunity to work at the school near the boys was offered and we needed the money to help us while we owned two homes. I worked full-time but kid-friendly hours and no one suffered too terribly much. (Maybe you shouldn't ask my kids about the suffering because they still recount that as an awful time in their lives.)


Well, moving to TX I chose to not work which worked out well since rebuilding my house and my household's stuff was practically a full-time job last year. Spring '09 I signed up to sub at the elementary school where the kids attend and worked just a few days. This past fall I subbed even more but still not too much and I guess that I did well enough because now I am subbing full-time for the next 6 weeks in the school office. It is VERY different than subbing in a classroom but I have a feeling that it will NEVER be the same day twice.


I am pretty pumped about working but am less than enthused about being at work at 7:15AM daily. I realize that many people do this daily and even earlier than that but Ugh! that was tough this morning. Will and Nic may pay a bit of a price and need to rise earlier too but they are old enough to understand the responsibility of the job and that me working will provide them with some benefits as well. Hopefully a win win for everyone in the family.


Well, I had my first day of many today and am happy that it happened mid-week. I have three days of work this week to get geared up for a full week next week, another full week and then SPRING BREAK! I may be around there until mid-April so that will be a stimulating way to start my spring! Guess I'll have to limit my spring cleaning to just evenings and weekends! (insert snide comments here..... If you know me you probably wouldn't believe that I spring clean!)


The staff at school all seem to happy to have me around to help. I get to see Will a few times a day and hopefully we'll even get to have lunch together on occasion. I have often thought that being a school secretary would be a great job within education so this will be a good taste of it with an early summer vacation. The sad part of the job though is that I will not be subbing with my kindergarten friends any time soon. Since I have accepted the longer-term spot I have gotten two requests and had to turn them down. I LOVE my kiderfriends and I hope that they won't forget Mrs. Bakery and how much I love hanging out with them!

No comments: