Monday, February 14, 2011

What type of mom am I?

So I was watching Good Morning America while I was on the treadmill this morning. Yes, you read right... I was on a treadmill, moving and making progress... And they had a segment about types of mothers. Helicopter, Tiger or Hippie were the options. They had three teenagers, products of the three different mothering types, attesting that they were only better off because of the style their mother had chosen.

I absolutely recognize the helicopter and hippie mom in myself at times.

I deliver lunches when forgotten (but NEVER snacks! Gotta draw the line somewhere). I remind my kids that I haven't signed a practice log or Thursday folder. I ask multiple times if they are sure they really want to sign up for _______ and do they realize the commitment that ______ requires?

On the other hand I let my kids run outside to play and not tell me EXACTLY who they are playing with and for how long. I let my kids ride their bikes to the park 5 blocks away ALONE. I'm crazy like that. A little too free for many who live around me. I even let them pick out their own clothes (although I draw the line at skulls. I refuse to buy clothes with skulls on them).

I just don't see myself as the Tiger Mom. If I were a Tiger mom my kids would be boring. I love that my kids are FUNNY! I mean really really FUNNY! They have great comedic timing and the sarcasm... It is genetic bliss. Tiger moms apparently don't encourage free thinking. They don't even encourage free TIME! I LOVE free time! I live for free time. I got really stressed this past fall when Nic was in the play and Will played baseball. There was NEVER a real conflict but just the fact that there could be stressed me out.

Sounds to me that being a Tiger mom is full-time work and I just love part-time gigs. Just like I enjoy subbing for 1/2 day. Now I do realize that parenting is a full-time job but it is not work. I love my JOB but I hate to WORK! Guess that says plenty about my future earning potential. Lucky for me mothering my two amazing boys pays in DIVIDENDS! Just as the kids on GMA gave their moms each a grade of A for parenting, I think my kids know that I am devoted and proud and feel VERY VERY BLESSED to be responsible for any small part in the amazing people that they are becoming.

No comments: