Monday, December 3, 2012

It's been a blur...

My last post was on the first day of school and now it is almost semester break!?  Wow! Slacker much Susan?

Well, to be honest I have been working my tail off. I have subbed more this year than any year previous. I have met some great kids, visited some new schools and earned some CASH!  Of course I get paid WAY WAY WAY after I finish the job but the money will come in handy when it comes.

Fred has been working away at his job and is getting good feedback and a few promises from his boss about what the future holds for him.  I KNOW he works hard and is a great employee and I think they see it too. Would love to see a compensatory raise and perhaps a car allowance to go with all that hard work. It'll come... it'll come.

Nic has had a roller coaster Freshman year thus far. Some AMAZING days and events and some real bummers. He is getting ready to participate in the show Legally Blonde the Musical this week for four shows. He has two roles and a solo singing part for one of them. It is new territory for him, musical on a BIG stage, and he is going to do GREAT! I will be sporting my show shirt for the rest of the week in support!  Grades have been steady with just a couple of hiccups. We are hoping for a STRONG finish so the semester averages are solid.  They are the ones that matter apparently.  Fingers crossed.  Socially he has met a bunch of new people but is still strong with the good friends from RMS. He has done well. I am proud.

WB is having a stellar 7th grade year.  He has the best teaching team and is really responding well to all of them.  He is LOVING ILA which was a class he loathed last year so I am SUPER HAPPY with that news. It is amazing that the same subject matter taught by a different person can be so much more enjoyable.  He is cruising along in the symphonic band assignment and actually just got a promotion to a new instrument.  He is now playing a tenor saxophone.He is having to relearn some pieces that the tenor part is a little different in. He is also working on a solo for a competition in February.  It's a little funny but he is getting nervous already.

I have been busy subbing her there and yon and doing PTA stuff.  I have taken part in a weekly Bible study going through Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.  I haven't been completely loyal but have tried.  Not sure if I will rejoin for the spring semester.  I would like to read some more fiction. That sounds selfish... Better pray about that.  I have also had some crafting successes and failures this last 3 months. In October I took part in LOAD1012 which stands for Layout A Day Oct, 2012.  Each day of the month I was given a prompt and challenged to make a layout. I was not required to follow the prompts but they were fun and stretched me at times.  I also went on an overnight Stampin Up retreat in October with some friends and made some fun projects for myself and to share. Sabrina and I tried our hands at a Pinterest project that was an EPIC fail but just this weekend I tried another one that was a HUGE success. You take the good and the bad I guess.

Slacker mom helped with these survivalist costumes. NOT! 
Boys were on their own this Halloween.

Well, as we move into December, just 3 more weeks in this semester, we will all prepare our hearts and minds for Christmas. No big time shopping going on here since we are already blessed beyond measure and tend to fulfill our wants on a pretty regular basis. Taking some time over the break to just breathe and enjoy each others' company will be my top priority. I am thinking a James Bond Movie Marathon followed by a Back to the Future Marathon the next day could be a perfect scenario.  Hopefully I will post a little something before Christmas. I'll do my best.
Family photo taken during our Thanksgiving trek to Indiana. 
Love a Baker boy/man smile.

No comments: