Saturday, September 13, 2008

We just got wet...


We battened down the hatches just in case but no need. We have had rain and dampness all day and yes, some wind, but nothing like we thought. The good news is that the mild conditions probably mean that the tar paper is still on our roof at the crispy house. God willing they will put shingles on Monday or Tuesday of this week. Once the shingles are on then the MAJOR work inside the house can start. That's the good stuff.


We have been home all day except for Fred who went up to the crispy house and out to get a haircut. The boys haven't even gotten dressed today. They were too busy have a BLAST with their new Nerf Guns and Lego sets. In anticipation of the weather and just a long weekend with nothing on the calender we went to Target yesterday with a mission. I bought $40 worth of groceries and $500 worth of toys and DVD's. Discover Card even called to make sure I really did spend that money. I owned up to it and went on with my day.


Most of what we bought was replacement stuff. The boys have been suffering without their Nerf guns and I am now of the opinion that Nerf guns are for outside and basements. This house is too open and noisy to support that kind of fun. We put it up with it for the better part of the day though because, at least they weren't playing video games! You take the bad with the good at my house.


Tomorrow my hope is that we make it to Church, get a plan together for the week ahead and spend a little more time with daddy-o. I have a grocery list written up and it would be nice to have that done but if I have to do it on Monday that would be OK too. I made dinner tonight, a real sit-down meal that did not include cereal and milk. Well, it almost included cereal. I have a big container of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix that I bought at Sam's last week. On the container is a tasty roasted potato recipe so I thought I'd see if they had anything that included Chicken. Well, there was a recipe but it called for Corn Flakes Cereal or plain bread crumbs. I had neither on hand but did consider for a moment how long it would take to make bread crumbs. I opted to go for a substitution. I mashed up some plain corn chips, added the ranch dressing mix and hoped for the best. Well, the outcome was not terrible. I did not receive rave reviews, I never really do, so that was no surprise. Each boy ate their allotted piece so it was certainly edible. I am now convinced that it is time to take another serious trip to the grocery to stock-pile some stuff, spices and other staples that I have passed over in the recent weeks.


OK, enough babble. I am going to take advantage of Fred being out of the living room to go watch a program that I DVR'd last week. Not sure what I have to choose from but it will be good I'm sure! Happy Saturday and keep southern Texas in your prayers. Rebuilding and recovery is hard.

No comments: