Beyond the swearing in of the new President of the United States of America this week has been pretty slow.
Last night was probably the highlight. We went to Middle School Band night. I have never been a band person, only know one VERY short song on the piano. We went with a couple of Nic's friends and they each had a chance to try out instruments, talk to band members and choose and instrument that fits them well to use in band this fall. Nic tried out the clarinet, a french horn, trombone, a saxophone and a flute. He also took a short percussion test that he did not get good feedback from. We settled on saxophone and put our name on the list. I then went to talk to the rental company representative to see what renting a saxophone would run. Well, a pittance at $50/month and of course the school suggests private lessons for people with little or no experience (insert our name here) and that will cost $16/week. So the moral of the evening... I need to find a job!
I am actually going to attend substitute orientation for the FISD next week and am hoping to get enough days in this spring to pay for some fun stuff for the kids to do this summer. I hope I can make a good impression at the school so I can be a go to girl in times of need.
Well, for now I need to go wait in the carpool lane for the DI team. We have a meeting today after school. I got to take it slow this morning and just returned from seeing a silly movie with my pal S. We saw Bride Wars and it was silly and laughable and just what I needed today. Now for the fun after school stuff then home to make Pretzel Crusted Chicken (Rachel Ray 365 No Repeats) and Cheddar Garlic Biscuits for din din. The temp is supposed to fall tonight and be pretty cool this weekend so a nice hot fresh tasty dinner should hit the spot!
3 comments:
Just thought I'd let you know...my daughter started playing trombone this year in 7th grade and we had the same situation...rental $45-$50. We stopped at a local music store the day before we went to rent and found a new trombone for $125!!! That was a lot cheaper than renting (and you could always sell it back to the music store...in case it is not your son's THING.) Some music stores have used instruments even cheaper!? Worth checking on...Candy
Not a drummer????...well what ever happen to his membership in Ben's Band? But then again, I'm certain if he could get good at this, he might be invited to contribute on a sax! They are always open to creativity!
We have LotS of bands in the fam....Joe Schmid has one down your way. Bet he'd welcome a new member!
DEFINITELY worth checking the purchase....even try CRAIGS List. You can always put it back on if he doesn't enjoy.
Okay, here's a totally different perspective. I went to Reiman Music in Ames, Iowa, one day and spent $800ish on a new trumpet for Alex. We are also paying $15 per lesson. Alex was tested on different instruments and was told that he would do best on the trumpet or trombone. Together he and I chose the trumpet. I told him that he needed to commit to an instrument and play it all the way through high school. He agreed. Next year when Alex is the school band, we will not have to pay for lessons.
--Andrea
Post a Comment