Thursday, January 15, 2009

Time to put on a sweater or two or three


Yep, we got a gas/electric bill today. YIKES! Now this one was for the period in December that the house was under control of the reconstruction company so this bill will be paid by the insurance company but I guess I feel like I have been warned. Fred was complaining about the coldness of the house just a day or two ago. I much prefer to put on a sweater or fleece than to turn up the thermostat, especially when I am home alone during the day. If no one complains then the thermostat may stay low. He complained, I pumped it up 2 degrees and snuggled. When I got the bill I took it down 2 degrees and put on a fleece sweatshirt. The good news, or maybe it's the bad news, my neighbors bill was very similar. I think it would be good to program those thermostats so we have more "regular" swings in the temperature. I feel a little guilty typing about the cold weather when many people I know and love are in areas suffering through temperatures well below freezing. I suppose cold is all relative huh?
OK, a slight addendum to my lamenting. As I was typing this and looking over my bill I see that there is a $65 reconnect fee and a $150 System Benefit Charge on the gas portion of the bill. I guess when the coop gets a new customer they get a benefit in the amount of $150. Lucky them.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Maybe if you would quit wearing FLIP FLOPS and put on some socks, you wouldn't have to turn up your heat so much!!!! We came home from dinner and Shannen said ours was reading 60--that is NOT where we set it, that is where it has gotten to after working so hard today. Right now we're at minus 7 and going lower. Enjoy your "warmth" down there!!!!!!

Betsy said...

I swear all of you are much healthier because we never kept the house warm ENOUGH! But darn, I'm freezing too. So, the fact that the thermostat said 61 when we set it at 67 was because it was trying so hard....what a relief! I thought it was broken. And Jerry says its my fault! We have spent our LIVES playing 'he sets it up, I set it down':-). WE need to get one of those programmed one too! Promise me not to complain when its HOT this summer.