Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Whew!

It has been a VERY long day around these part. I spent the majority of my hours today at the vacation house. It seemed so simple, I was going down to clean and wait for the rental furniture people to come pick up their goods. I got a call yesterday that put their window of arrival between 12 and 4 PM. Seemed like a big enough window but I was told by the temporary housing folks that they could give me an hours notice so I didn't have to sit around and wait. Well, guess what, I sat around and waited.




I started on the cleaning a little before noon and soon realized that I had not left all of the proper instruments or concoctions to get the job done well. I headed to Target nearby and picked up some reinforcements. I got back to the house around 12:30 and got straight to work. I had plenty to do and tried to multitask a bit. I let the CLR work on the shower while I tried to clean some high traffic carpet spots with Resolve. I cleaned mirrors, swept wood and tile floors and generally dusted. Well, all of that took nearly three hours. So at 3:15 when I had not heard from the housing people with the 1 hour call ahead I called them. I sat on hold, at my request, while they called the furniture people. When they got back to me the bad news was the the window was now adjusted to 4:30-5:30.


They still promised to call 1 hour before and even offered that I could leave a key under the doormat. I did not feel like the latter was an option at all so I called the boys, who had arrived home from school by this point, to check in. They were doing well on their own and so I decided to stay and continue the cleaning tasks while I waited. Well, 4:50 showed up on the clock and I decided that rather than call the housing people I would call Cort myself. Lucky for me it's phone book season in TX and I had four varieties that would hopefully hold the rental furniture listing that I needed. I hit the jackpot on the second volume and called Cort. Of course I had gotten the retail end and needed delivery. A very nice lady gave me the number slowly enough for me to quickly memorize it. I had not a pen in the place. I called and spoke to someone who basically said I needed to just wait. I told him that I was not satisfied with that answer. He said he'd have his manager call me. About 5 minutes later I got a call from the Manager of Operation who said he was sending a fresh crew out the door to me right away. He said it would take them 30 mins to get to me. Well, it was 5:00 so his estimate was off by 30 minutes. The guys showed up at 5:56 and were done emptying the house in about 45 minutes. By this time I had called a neighbor and sent the boys across the street for some supervision. They in turn let the dog out in the yard and failed to bring him in before they left. He had fun in the back yard for 2 hours. He was barking up a storm when I got home.

We ate cold but yummy pizza that I had ordered too early, and got back onto the homework track that had been abandoned earlier without my supervision. They got through it and I went to draw a bath to soak my aching body. I tried out the whirlpool tub that I had not used before the fire and I give it a definite thumbs up. My shoulder and thumb are achy still but I think I just aggravated an old injury and injured my thumb while trying to disassemble a headboard to move the movers along. It helped a little but not enough to justify the bum thumb.


So, the boys are in bed, I have taken my Aleve and have big plans to veg in bed and watch mindless Wednesday night television. I sure hope there is something mindless on.

Tomorrow I am supposed to volunteer at school. I should be fine to copy but can not imagine any cutting task. No scissors would fit my thumb. Maybe I could use the paper cutter guillotine thing? Off to rest.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Today is my UVerse (at&t) installation with a 'window' of 12-4. I can ONLY hope my wait time is nothing compared to yours. They say it takes 4-6 hours for installation and uh, there is a big football game on at 8. Our new services MUST be in place by then or Shannen will have to go to a bar to watch OU play Florida. Hope your thumb gets better.... use LOTS of ice--10 minutes at a time a few times should do it. TAKE CARE!

Betsy said...

I believe they at least owe you some apology! Or a refund for one day ;-)

We called to have an estimate for locks...yep, you hear me LOCKS on our doors and they came on time the next day.

mom

Anonymous said...

Do I really need to say anything?

Just Kidding...

Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way, that was me

... Theresa

Sarah said...

Locks at 2205?