Saturday, January 3, 2009

OLW

So I haven't updated the blog yet in 2009 because I had not settled on my OLW. I am not totally sure about the word that I have chosen but I am hopeful it will grow on me. Drum roll please....












My 2009 OLW is... DO!



Yep, a very little OLW that should keep me focused and moving toward all of the goals in my life. I just need to DO it. I need to DO things with purpose, DO things to simplify, DO things that create hope. DO some creating, DO some nesting and DO somethings that I believe in. The key is that I should not choose to DO nothing!



I need to create some art around the word but I need to DO some unpacking first. Fred took a big load of debris to the dump nearby then ran through our storage unit and picked up a truck-load of stuff. A bunch of inefficiently packed china and misc. other stuff. Fred commented that we had not used or needed the stuff in the last 6 months and he wondered how much we really need any of it. I may be a bit more discerning as I unpack about what goes back into service. I am absolutely certain that some stuff can just be re-boxed and donated.

3 comments:

Jen said...

It is AMAZING how much less you NEED once you don't have it for a while... Best wishes with your OLW. I don't think you can get much smaller. Have a super weekend.

Anonymous said...

Please don't throw it all out because you haven't used if for six months, or a year! Some "things" are not used often but the memories they hold are priceless!


Mmmmm, maybe throw out the guns! Haven't used them in YEARS I hope.

But, I do like your DO attitude.
Mom

Katherine Krider Satchwill said...

I have a 60+ year old, grey haired friend and colleague at the jail whose "stuff" to get rid of included her first US driver's license and a coat she bought in Paris! She's a British immigrant-now-citizen who came here as a nanny and now lives alone but is never lonely! She gives away "stuff" often with notes attached,to girls she meets at the crisis center. Other stuff and stories she's photographing before she takes to goodwill or wherever, in her "stuff I will give away or throw out but will always want to remember!" book. She plans to take it with her to the nursing home--to help folks help her with long term memories. It's fodder for storytelling forever--and with your giftedness, no doubt you'll do something as wonderful with afgans, scraps from the crispy house's unusable but memorable stuff and will have stories or fill in the blanks placesif you can't remember what the afgan's note said. And, about about your word, DO is YOU! Happy New Year to a woman we love and admire.