So there is a story that I have heard before about filling a jar with rocks. If you put small pebbles in first, then mid-sized rocks, then the large rocks they won't all fit in the jar. What a person should do is put the largest rocks in first, then the mid-sized rocks then the smallest pebbles fill in the space that is left.
So when I consider living my life with INTENTION I want to look at a few of the most important components of my life (the BIG rocks) and put them at the forefront of my life. Not saying that I can't put some medium sized stones and lots of little pebbles in my jar but I need to make sure I place the BIG rocks first.
My BIG rocks include
1) my marriage to Fred
2) my sons Nicholas and William
3) my personal happiness, exercise and creativity time (Yes, that is a category on my calendar)
4) my closest and most important relationships with family and friends.
5) my faith
My mid-sized rocks include
1) my "professional life" as a substitute
2) my "volunteer life" as a PTA and community volunteer
3) All the other little things I do for others
4) Creating and documenting my family story in scrapbooks
My little pebbles are
laundry, cleaning, ironing, movies, anything on my DVR, and a whole lot more.
The littlest of pebbles are not inconsequential things. They have their place in my life but they are not BIG rocks. Can you name your BIG rocks and do you place them in your jar first?
No comments:
Post a Comment