I do know that my husband sometimes reads it and if he saw the post from yesterday he might be mad at me. Probably more than might. He thinks I share too much. I'm sure he'd be ticked that I shared his uncensored comment. But here's the thing. I am not mad at him for making the comment. I love him for making the comment. For finding a way to tell me something that is on his mind. To share with me like no one else can. 20+ years into our relationship and this is what I signed up for. He is like the 10X magnified make-up mirror with side-lights that Jennifer and I had when we were in HS. Scary but necessary. Sometime I wish that other people in my life would be that honest. And of course there are times when I hope that they aren't. I know that there are times that I need to be more honest with my friends or family. It's hard, you know? Well, of course you do.

I feel that you should consider your motivation behind the need to share your opinion and the intention behind the oh so honest comments. If the need is selfish and the intention is cruel then shut up and move on. If the need is one of perceived protection, and the intention is love, then tread carefully and gently and forge ahead. Fred and I tend to be honest with humor. It stings less but you do have to make sure that your special someone gets the joke.
I was talking to a friend recently about an instance in her life where someone had the opportunity to be honest and wasn't. Their holding back actually hurt much more than their honesty would have. In the end both parties held grudges and suffered. It could have gone differently had someone been honest with themselves and then honest with my friend.
I am not suggesting that you need to mention every little thing to every acquaintance that you have. Make it meaningful, don't seek the opportunity but if it comes about... If you have a chance to speak with concern and love then do not hesitate. Fred didn't and I love him for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment