
I can totally understand the concept of hibernation. Sleeping through winter really does make a lot of sense. No need to shovel the front walk or even prepare Christmas dinner. I would miss seeing all my friends and family but I am sure I would dream about you!
Unfortunately or fortunately none of the Bakers are "full" enough to sleep that long. We all need to eat a couple of meals a day so we must get out of bed.
Well I am glad to report that everyone ate at least two meals today and some ate three with snacks. The boys tried to go outside to play (against my better judgement/warning) and lasted about 10 minutes. The wind nearly took Will's sled to the next county and from the redness on each boys' face I'd say they were pretty close to windburn. The westerly wind whipping the light snow around reminded me of a sandstorm in the desert. We were only 100 degree colder than a desert here in IA.
I did a little more wrapping and organizing for the trip east. I played some more with my Cricut and was able to finished up a couple of scrapbook pages that had been "in progress" for far too long.
We are planning to leave the house tomorrow. Fred should have a couple of expense checks waiting for him at work and I need to get a few groceries. I would also like to know that there are other people alive in IA. A little fresh air will do us all some good.
We have continued to open presents pre-Christmas. I think this may become a new tradition. My mother was always bothered by the flurry of wrapping paper on Christmas morning and the fact that we always missed reactions because there was so much going on at the same time. The process of slowing down, selectively choosing which gift to open, taking turns to watch that gift be opened and enjoying the gift has been really satisfying. I say that as a giver and receiver. I am glad to not be overwhelmed on Christmas morning. It will make prepping for the drive a little easier. I hope.
Well tomorrow we will make a birthday cake for Baby Jesus and some cookies for Santa. We'll go to M-Town and be home in time to go to Church at 6:00. It should be a very fulfilling day.
1 comment:
What a fabulous observation/ reaction to said observation! Natalie wants to open presents right NOW (it is 2pm the day "before"). I totally understand Mom's "unhappiness" as she/dad/we worked way too hard to buy the "perfect" thing and then to see it stacked in a pile in a heartbeat--so sad. My "other" family does it opposite, and it takes FOREVER. We sit around and open in age order. This takes about 10 or 12 rounds, at least, and can get pretty boring if you ask me. I like your "a few a day" idea. THe only issue is having everyone at home at the same time to do it... I'll work on that one NEXT year.
Best wishes for a safe trip east. We're looking forward to seeing you and yours! Take care and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Jen
Post a Comment