Thursday, December 6, 2007

Is this becasue I didn't forward that proverb e-mail?


Can this week get worse? Maybe I shouldn't have asked that. First and foremost! My husband is on route home from spending a few days in TX this week. He was supposed to arrive in DesMoines around 1 PM. That would be the exact time that the epicenter of a nasty snowstorm also hit DSM. His plane was diverted AHEAD of the storm to Cedar Rapids. The pilots and controllers were to decide in a few hours about trying to get to DSM yet tonight. Fred, not being one to sit still very long, opted to rent a car and drive to DSM to get his car and head home. He just called from I-80 to announce that he was slowed significantly. Thank God for the Internet, I was able to check road conditions and inform him that there was a traffic accident about 5 miles ahead that had closed I-80. He may choose to bypass DSM and come home for the night or he may take the detour and go slowly along his path. Either way I pray that he is safe and warm and so are the others traveling tonight.


Today was not my day when it came to the darn driving gig. I kinda have a love/hate relationship with cars this week. My whole life really. I love the freedom that a car gives me. Not that I take advantage too often but I could if I wanted. I have never lived in a place that I had to rely on public transportation. I probably would not do well in a place like that. Anyhow, earlier in the week I had that battery issue, all better now though. Today was a new issue in the School Bus that I drive. Yeah, you heard that right.


The School Bus is actually a white minivan. S and I use it everyday to get from school to work and back. Today I was a little concerned about the weather and upon moving onto the on-ramp I realized that I did not have my cell phone on my person. (I tend to drive with my cell close at hand because I have an unfounded fear that if I do get into an accident my purse will be thrown about and I would never find my phone to call for help.) So, I decided to pull onto the very wide shoulder to get my phone from my bag and put it in my pocket. Well, that wide shoulder was nothing but ice. I slid right over the shoulder into the grass and hit a reflector in the process lodging the metal stake under the van. UGH! I dug out my phone and called the bus barn for help. Reluctantly they sent back-up and Mr. R helped me dislodge the van and he followed me back to school. We arrived safely and found out that the snow that we drove into on the way was allowing an early out for school. THANK GOD! I was so tense from the slide off the road that I probably would have asked to come home anyway. I was done for the day.


The boys and I got home safely and will remain here until tomorrow barring any issues Fred may have. I tried to rest but I am pretty worked up about my day. Wish I could take a pill tonight to help me rest but maybe hot apple juice with mulling spices will be a good substitute. Please pray that tomorrow goes better than today. Off to make dinner for the boys and me.

No comments: