
Contractors, vendors, servicemen, delivery men, technicians, carpenters, carpet layers, movers... you get the idea. What I appreciate is being given a call about 30 minutes before a service provider is going to arrive. I am usually never more than 30 minutes away. I can wrap up whatever I am doing and get home in 30 minutes (well, except yesterday when I was in the middle of my massage, no way I would have left that early!) I think that some organizations do the whole window of possibility really well and others, not so much. I just don't want to specifically add up the time I've lost. I am sure it would be weeks at least.

I am hopeful that all of my waiting this past year has simply been a result of needing more contractors and service people visiting than usual, because of the fire, resulting move and continued wrap up of this VERY big project. I am hopeful that in the next year I will not need to wait quite so much.
So this whole waiting thing makes me think about being employed again. I am at a crossroads when it comes to work or no work. I LOVE being available to my kids and my husband and my friends. I miss the professionalism, the interaction and the paycheck. Do I miss it enough... probably not. I have only subbed at the kids' school once. I get that little blip in my checking account next month. I often think that I need to apply to be a check-out girl at Target or Kroger or the QT but then I think... how would I wait for all of the service calls? Who would pick-up the boys from school if they were sick? Could I really be so limiting in my employment to say I only want to work Mon thru Thursday between 8:30 and 2:30? Would anyone hire me for that? Should I stay home just to give someone else who really needs a job the opportunity to have the job? Or are these just excuses and unrealistic thoughts that shield me from any potential job interview?
I guess I need to give some serious thought to this topic and make a plan. I can only vacuum the carpet so often. If I am not going to go back to work then I need to search out ways that my contributions to this household can be more meaningful. I suppose I could start ironing t-shirts and underwear. But that is just a little silly, no... that's just CRAZY!
I guess I'll go wonder some more while I switch laundry and wait for my boys.

2 comments:
If you really don't need the money maybe you could volunteer at a local shelter or soup kitchen. You could go help women who don't have all of the blessings we have. That way you would be able to leave if the boys needed you, work around your schedule and you could still get a sense of accomplishment. AND help people that need help! The REAL reward.
I mean--both parents work full time everyday in America on the same schedule. I know that Fred is in a different country but you get my drift. So it could be worked out if you were away from the house during the day.
I don't know... just some ideas. I think you're an amazing mother and wife and you're doing a great job while "single parenting" while Fred is gone.
Maybe its time to feel some different rewards... Just my thoughts and should be taken as so. I know you well enough to know you will.
Your cuz!
Theresa
Well, if you get tired of vacuuming your carpets, you're always welcome to do mine too :) Just joking!! I feel your pain on the waiting thing...I wish they could narrow those 4-8 hours time windows down to 1 or 2, or at least call ahead everytime. It always wastes the whole day!
Post a Comment