Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Oops, I forgot the SUGAR!


Can you believe that I ruined not one but TWO batches of Payday this past weekend. I could not for the life of me figure out what I did wrong... Well, I was talking to my MIL tonight and asked her to check the boiling time for the corn syrup used in the recipe. She starts reading off the recipe, all for 4 ingredients! I only had three, yep, I forgot the cup of sugar. Corn syrup, peanut butter and vanilla do not make Payday coating. It takes SUGAR! UGH! I am so making more tomorrow with all ingredients taking their rightful place in the recipe. What a dork. I guess I was more sick that I wanted to acknowledge.


Well, we have had a great start to the week. I am feeling a bit better each day and should be 100% in time for trick or treating on Friday. The temperature on Friday will reach 80 degrees and that should make for VERY nice trick-or-treating weather. Nic has asked if he can go off with a couple of friends and meet up with me later. I just don't know if this group of boys really has enough self-control to trick-or-treat responsibly. I don't want Nic to earn a rep in the hood before we really get a chance to prove ourselves as competent parents. I think I'll call another mom tomorrow and see what she is going to let her son do....


Tuesday I got a call at 1:40 asking for a showing of the vacation home between 2:30 and 4:30 UGH! Yes, grumble, groan, moan... I dropped what I was working on and set to cleaning the house up a bit. I swished and swiped and made beds and hid piles and hoped for the best. I left a few minutes after 2:30 to get the boys from school and thought that I had brought enough for them to be able to do their homework in the car while we waited to get back in the house. Well, we left school, went to the QT gas station and got snacks and went to the parking lot near the neighborhood pool to do our homework. As we were getting started getting busy the phone rang, the scheduler, asking if they could see the house between 4:00 and 5:00 UGH! They hadn't even been there yet. I told them I was going to run in the house and get all the stuff the kids really needed to do their homework, like the math book that stays at home and the spelling list from the fridge. The nice scheduler guy said he thought we should just stay home until they show up and sneak out the back, so that is what we did. It worked out so wonderfully because my pal Kirste called while we were home so I chatted with her until the Realtor showed up then I practically hung up on her and we ran out the back. In the time it took for us to drive around the block the viewers had been in and headed out of the house in less than 5 minutes.


So we went back home and waited for the truly anticipated call of the night from.... Cousin Dan! He was in town on business and worked it out so we could get together for dinner and celebration of Nic's B-day just one week early. We gave him the 10 cent tour of the area and ran him through the crispy house and the vacation home. He and the boys played with the Air Hog helicopters long enough to land one on the perch far above human reach. About that time we headed out to Peter Piper's Pizza for dinner, some gaming and more visiting. After pizza Nic talked me in to stopping at Marble Slab Creamery where he and Will imbibed in cool treats while Dan and I let our dinner settle.


After the ice cream Dan gave Nic some really cool b-day presents that included a Wii game, a Circuit kit and a model airplane kit. Perfect gifts for my almost 10 year old. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???? I CAN'T!


So we ran Dan back to his hotel and then landed at our place about 9:25. The boys went directly to bed and I followed by about an hour. All good.


We were all on the tired this morning but for the best reason. I took the boys to school and then I came home, got myself presentable and headed back to school to put my copy certification to work. Can you believe someone actually asked me if I had been trained. Um, yeah. I'm good thanks!


After I completed my copy tasks for Will's teacher I ran a couple of errands then went and grabbed Dan from his hotel and we went to a sweet (ie FREE) lunch at Panera then I ran him to the DFW airport for his return flight to Indy. It was so nice to talk with him, catch up hear him gush about his AWESOME wife Tracy. They are celebrating 3 years of wedded bliss today! (I hope you are reading this guys!) (Tracy, he really did brag on you!)


I got done at the airport in time to run one more errand before getting the boys from school and heading home for a quiet afternoon. That got slightly interrupted by the fact that tomorrow is "Cool dudes don't do drugs!" Day as part of Red Ribbon Week at school. My cool dudes did not have sunglasses so I needed to run to the Dollar Tree and pick up some disposable ones. No big if they lose or drop or share these cheapo glasses, they are cool enough to know not to do drugs!


I have a HUGE project that I just decided to take on tonight that has to be done.... tomorrow so I need to get busy. I will take pictures and try to post my success tomorrow. There is no doubt that I will complete the project, the question... Will I get to bed before midnight? and When will I do my MOMS group homework?


2 comments:

Colleen said...

Susan, I get tired just reading about your days. You are one busy family.

Also, I got the prize that I won from Lisa B's website in the mail. I have a picture of all of the wonderful goodies on my craft blog www.cleancreate.blogspot.com
if you want to see. Thanks again for alerting me to it.

Jen said...

still waiting on the Halloween costumes. Shannen just asked me a half hour ago what Landry was wearing. I specifically remember saying about 3 weeks ago--we have a football game that night, you are in charge--of everything. A mother's work is never done...
HOpe you have a fun night. It should be about 55 here--much better than the 30s we've had the last few Fridays! Take care!