Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bologna and showers, what a summer!


Bet you are wondering what lunch meat and a shower have to do with each other. Well, in my house this summer they are signs of independence.


Will, the pickiest eater in this house has embraced ham on bread, it used to be just ham, and has also tasted bologna on bread and kinda liked it. The possibility of a school lunch that does not include a pop tart as the main course is within sight! Can you understand the joy? I sure can!


Nic, a rather needy, (maybe not the best word but I can not think of another off hand) eight year old has attempted with much success, showering without parental supervision. Rinsing his hair is a challenge but he has come really close. His success has inspired Will to try this trick too! Sending the boys off to get showered without having to escort, nag and participate is also looking like part of my future.


Do not get me wrong, I love being a mom and catering to my amazing, beautiful, loving kids but WOW! I could also get used to being the mom who doesn't have to negotiate lunch and dinner for the picky eater! (I was really embarrassed about what the lunch monitors thought about a mom who sent pop tarts for lunch!) I would love to be a mom of a confident, clean tween! Nic will be NINE this November. How did I get to be the mom of a 4th grader? When did this happen.


Thank God for scrapbooks. I love looking back at the cute, innocent, needy kids of old. Off to enjoy the afternoon with the boys who stole my heart.

1 comment:

Beth Thomas said...

Just came across your blog from a comment on Jill's InkGenious (just love her)! What cute kids you have! I too have one of the world's pickiest eaters in my 10- year-old daughter. Essentially, McD's chicken nuggets, Applebee's chicken tenders, peanut butter (we've just evolved to chunky but still no jelly) sandwiches, Kraft's Deli Deluxe American cheese sandwiche and cashews are the protein choices we have. Of course, fruit only NO veggies! I too used to wonder what the lunchroom monitor thought but we now homeschool (not due to lunch-lol) so I don't have that worry. On the other hand, my 3-year-old daughter will eat almost anything. She is not overly fond of sweets but loves any meat, veggie etc. you send her way. Aren't kids just great- teeheehee. Feel free to stop over at my blog if you would like, mainly paper crafting mixed with family antics. Take care!