Monday, July 30, 2007

A memorable homily...


I just wanted to share a bit from the homily that I enjoyed at church on Saturday. Now let me preface this with the fact that I rarely remember a homily much beyond the doors of my church. I enjoy the priest we have at St. Joseph's but we do not have a "connection" and I do not necessarily get that much out of his homilies. That being said.. this week was a bit different. Fr. Rick spoke on prayer and shared some wisdom passed on to him from a resident of the local veteran's home. "John," an elderly resident shared with Fr. that he had a theory about prayer. His theory was the God always answers our prayers. He does this in one of three ways, with a yes, a no, or a wait. I got that! It was so true. Fr. Rick continued in the homily to say that God wants us to nag him with prayers. He wants us to put our needs out there for him and to ask for what we think we need. Fr. Rick used the word "nag" which has been my nemesis this summer. I have shared on more than one occasion that I do not want to be a nag to my husband and children but at times it seems the only way to get things done. I feel good about the fact that maybe I should stop nagging my family and start nagging God. Would this be easier than nagging my family? Perhaps, at least I can't see God roll his eyes at me!


Well, my plan is to start passing more on to God in terms of what I need, or think I need. I will listen intently to his response and perhaps gain some perspective and patience in the process. I am glad I went to church on Saturday and am so glad that Fr. Rick left me with something to ponder throughout this week.

1 comment:

Jen said...

As you know, on Sundays when there is a "race" in Indianapolis, most people don't go to church. Shannen asked, as the pastor was giving the prayer before the Brickyard 400, "does this count as church?". I said yes, since he never goes anyway. Now I can say I lived through YOUR church experience!
I tell you, that "N" word has come up a few times in the last year or so and I do hate it. I think I might try your idea and let Someone else listen to me go on and on and on about things that are obviously important to me, but no one else... THanks for the uplifting thought after my first day back at work! Thanks, too, for the FROGGIE BOOTS!!!