Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A day of reflection...


As I watched the replay of images from 9/11 I recall that day too vividly, as many of us do. I had no clue until I went to pick up Nic at preschool. Another parent alerted me and we immediately grabbed our kids and headed to the safe haven of our homes. The boys were so young but so aware, I did not want them to watch the images and see me cry. I spent a lot of time running up and down stairs that day between the toy room and my bedroom to check the news in solace. There was a man there repairing a crack in our bathtub, he was the only adult that I had to share this with. Fred was adamant that he stay at work, no sense in coming home. I so wished that he would come home and be safe.


I did not know anyone who died that day but I do know that some of my extended family in NY was impacted. The images haunt me and make me cry. I felt very vulnerable after that. Not that I am afraid to fly or travel but I think about things more now.


So on this day of reflection I want to take a moment to share what makes me smile in life.

1. My children

2. My patient husband

3. My friends, near and far

4. My FAMILY siblings, mom & dad, and beyond

5. My faith, it has gotten through all of the moving and shaking in life.

6. My creative outlets, sharing that with others is especially satisfying

7. My home, safe haven still, even on ordinary days

8. My job, even on the bad days, it is good.

9. Technology that keeps me connected and allows me to steal moments of a lifetime for a lifetime.

10 My own health, I am so lucky to be alive and gifted with my amazing family. I take that for granted and shouldn't. Things that make me smile should be cherished and enjoyed to the fullest. Life is a gift, a great present.


Enough mush, I am waxing sentimental. Is that right phrase? Whatever, it's sappy but necessary on this memorable day.


Peace and Hugs to all on the list and those that I have yet to add.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I saw the sun shining yesterday and thought to myself... "I am a VERY lucky girl." I know exactly how you feel. We certainly do take for granted how blessed we truly are--family, friends, health, et al. Have a GREAT week!

Betsy said...

Ditto daughter! (s).
Mom