
I am going to take a chance here and be really honest about something. It may bite me in the you know where but here goes...
I am jealous of my siblings that live in IN. They get dinners at home occasionally, they get rides home when they drop their cars at the shop, they get awesome babysitters who really love and enjoy spending time with the kids and the list goes on. Yes, we chose to move away, but I can still wish we lived closer right? Well, yesterday was one of those days that I was happy to live in the middle of IA.
You see, we have a Cub Foods not too far from us. I was excited to find it last year shortly after we moved here. Cub Foods was a staple in my youth, we loved that you got to bag your own groceries and that mom brought our own reusable boxes, when she remembered (she was going green way ahead of her time). Well, mom sent me some vintage Cub Food paper gift certificates last week and I went yesterday to try to spend them. The people at Cub did not blink an eye. I got $80 off the top of my $150 bill and it felt great.
So maybe I don't get a cheaper date with my husband with a free sitter but I do get Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Apples and Cinnamon, of course, for the fall mornings that are upon us. I will feel the love in every bite! I haven't spent $150 at the grocery in a LONG time, mostly because I have given up cooking, (not totally true, but close). My trip down the aisles yielded plenty of tasty stuff and I will be making lasagna today to be enjoyed by all of us, if Will is in the mood.
"It's all good." I should be thankful for the distance between me and those I care about. It makes the time we do spend together so much sweeter. I never have to help with MAJOR landscaping projects at 2205 (Ben you and Andrea rock!) and after those family dinners I don't have to help with the dishes. (Now you know when we go home later in October I will have to do every dish right? We'll only be there for 2 meals at most though, I can handle that:))
One final thought, the whole bagging your own groceries thing isn't as cool as I remember. There is a ton of pressure for you to get your stuff out of the way before the next person gets going. I am not a trained bagger, remember Jen and I were produce chicks, and it is much harder than it looks. I probably make it harder because, if given the opportunity, I like order in my bagging. You know, cereal together, all the cold stuff in plastic bags to be dropped in the cooler, People magazine near the top of some bag so I can glance at it before I leave the parking lot... The list goes on. (Yes, I bought a People magazine. It was my treat and I loved it!)
6 comments:
I miss Cub foods, too. And Flower Factory that went into Cub foods... Oh, the good old days. Here's my beef... I go to Kroger now. LOVE IT, but I seem to have to bag my groceries there, too... with one, sometimes two kids in tow. Kroger is not a "bag your own groceries" grocery store--but if you want to get out in a reasonable amount of time OR you want your things "organized" (I SO understand cereal in the same bag, frozen together, etc.), you have to bag yourself. I too like organization and speed... but I do feel rushed to get my groceries into the bags ASAP... and the cashier just stands there and looks at me like: HURRY UP LADY!! I'VE GOT PEOPLE WAITING... UGGHHH!
As for the meals at home--we had one tonight. An impromptu birthday cookout for Ben as well as a "welcome to the US" for Andrea's friend from Germany, Philip. It was nice to not have to cook and we topped it all off with a kick butt chocolate cake I made after coming home from the Purdue/ND football game yesterday. Yes, you missed out on GOOD corn from Tipton, great cake, and WASHING DISHES. (Actually I only dried, so it wasn't too bad).
Can't wait to see you in a month. Hopefully we will be around... not sure about "Fall Break" plans yet. Take care!!!
I "understand" your jealous Susan, I had it years ago when I was away from my mom and sisters. It would still be nice to have a sister closer to chat with but those sisters in law would do it in a minute if I needed. I think too, that there is the time to say...can't do anything about it so better make the most of it....and you have Susan! You are a kick-butt MOM....so no reason to apologize.
I'm ALWAYS thankful to be part of my grandchildren's lives, just as my grandmother was a major part of mine. But unlike me, she didn't have a job 60 miles away that made being in YOUR house just a few hours a day not enough to get things done.
We're looking forward to your VISIT! Want a cookout and a cake?
Do you want a Free Babysitter while you are in so you can go on a Date? Well im not free... Sorry I have bills to pay and a new car to save up for.... Got that Jen my prices may go up, no ill stay the same! But I would watch Will and Nic for free, as I do watch Natalie and Landry on some nights. But you are usually working.... Ok im rambling and not making any sence. Susan I was just trying to say that when i babysit i get paid, everyone else is free....Not trying to step on anyone's toes... Love you lots cant wait to see you and MY DOG! YOU ARE STILL A FAV ON MOM'S LIST>>>!!! LOVE SARAH, it wont let me post this?
OK I thought we didn't use the favs word Sarah...SHHHHHH~!
I have an interesting perspective from my younger sister now that she has been away for six years. As you know, our generation was pretty INDY centered for sooo many years. I hated to see her go and I tried to tell her she would hate it. I guess it put me in my place when she moved, and more than survived, she thrived as well as her children have also.
I am reminded every once in awhile by her that she never has to be here in the middle of the small, mindless bickering and frustrations that are apart of family life and she is always showered with plenty of attention when she comes home. She can be here for the beautiful weddings and holidays and go home with great memories.
I miss you dearly and I want to snuggle with my boys,Have a good discussion with Fred and crop till we drop, but I know there is a part of your life away from Indy that has blessed you, helped you and your family grow, become more interdependent and independent all at the same time and we are all jealous of the person you are spending your time with when you come home. Yes Tyler and Denise, you...there I said it! I love that I can always call, although I do not call often enough, share a laugh, guess what each being, including the Pete, is doing down to which piece of furniture is utilized by the hour on the clock. There is a part of our being seperated and miles puting distance between us that makes our hearts that much closer, that tells our minds that we care for all of you just that much more and leads us to do silly things like showing up for colonoscopies and teary new mothers. You see, you give us even more reason to wonder what you did today, how the bus training is going and what wild thought came out of Sam's mouth today............... Blah, blah, blah....."SUSAN BAKER" as he says....
Never think that we will ever get used to you being so far away and never wonder for a minute that we are OK with you being too far away for a touch, a hug, a cup of sugar or a sandwich in Ames at the Panera. We are just so blessed to have each of us, no matter where we physically exist... LOVE YOU Shoan
What do you mean....mindless bickering! Joan must be talking about another family. Never in ours :-)
Whatever.....you and Jen and now Andy HAVE lived far away and poor Ben probably wishes he did too! At some time in his life anyway.
Its just what we must do as our lives evolve and change. I know that I often my wish I was able to "go back" and try it (things in my life) over again. But we can only make what we are, where we live, and what we do, once. Only one time! Make it the best you can because it will all be a memory TOMORROW!
Love you soooooo much.
Mom
Ok so sorry if i hurt feeling, Susan and Jen! I felt you (Susan) took it that Jen just took advatage of (ME) that I came and babysat and went home with nothing... I assumed and you know what happens when you (ass)u(me)
Any ways Love Every One Lots! Any one want Joseph Nielsen this weekend, he is up for sale! FREE!!!!
Post a Comment