Thursday, July 10, 2008

Funny Story....


So on our way home from Frisco, sharing dinner and wine and pharmacy stories, Nic was playing Guitar Hero on his Guitar Hero Limited Edition DS. He was rocking out to Pat Benetar's, "Hit me with your best shot!" I started singing along and he and Will simultaneously asked, "You know this song?" As if I could not be so cool to know this rockin' tune. Well I went on to tell the tell of Shontel Jors, Shannon Sullivan and the on the fringe Susan getting coordinating powder blue t-shirts emblazoned with a rainbow from the little shop in the basement at Glendale. I told them about our cool ponytails off to the side and our well synchronized lip sync for the CTK Talent Show of 1981 I think. We were too cool for our own good. So Nic asked the appropriate question, "Did you win first place?" I replied, "No Nic, I don't think there were winners, it was just a chance to participate." "Well did you get a medal or a trophy?" he said. "No, just had some fun and thought we were cool for trying." "How about a certificate? Did you get a certificate?" He pushed.

I guess the idea of just doing something for fun is not enough for kids these days. Boy, do I feel old! I had a great time with Shontel and Shannon and I really think I could jump up on any stage and recreate the whole dance. We were pretty literal for 4th graders. It was fun!

OK, long day here and tomorrow will likely be even longer and more emotionally taxing. I am getting nervous about the fate of our goods. It could be really great or pretty tragic. I'll be sure to post either way, I always do.

Keeping it real!

4 comments:

Cee_m said...

I love it! Yeah, I remember when Marky Mark came out with his version of the song "Wild Side" and my uncle started singing the do do do parts and my cousin and I were like "You know Marky Mark?"

*facepalm* Yeah, we're all allowed to be kind of idiots at one time or another

Anonymous said...

I absolutely MUST have pictures of this. You're heading to the Traub family compound. Dig up those photos and post them!

Jen said...

The funny thing about that "event" was that like 2 other groups "danced" to the same song. Kinda like when 4 or 5 groups did the "Bus Stop" dance a few years before. Oh, those were the days!!!
I doubt you can find a t-shirt place like that anywhere in the free world. And I bet there are NO pictures--mom stopped taking them after I turned one! Sorry Kirste!

Katherine Krider Satchwill said...

I LOVE this story--and of course, relate it to driving along in our super duper Pointiac when the Satchwill boys were so "totally into" the fact that I KNEW the Beatles's tunes--ALLLL the words. Generations of our lives so change us, but so stay the same with paradoxes of silver linings, fears of thunder, fascination with storms, contrasted with the joys of kids dancing in rain puddles. Thanks again for taking the time to write in your blog, Susan. Is it sometimes tedious? Just getting through each chore and challenge is enough and then, bingo, there's Susan--writing about it! Kudos.
Talked to your dad and mom last night--so many stories, so many smiles--so many moments of awe! See you in Indy!!!