Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Does this make sense to you?

So we had an interesting day today. Ups and down from start to finish. Dad/Grandpa got up with the boys at a decent hour and they went to breakfast downstairs. When they got back upstairs I threw on some clothes and he and I headed north to get the mail, get a bill from the Library for the three books that perished in the fire and to attempt to get the Fire Marshall's report. The mail collection was a bust. They let me put the hold in last Friday without any issues but now that I wanted to collect they wanted ID. Well, I don't have my TX license yet so the lady told me they didn't have anything for me but an advertising circular. I couldn't question it but I felt like I was not getting everything I had coming to me.

After that dad and I headed to the library and I attempted to return the 8 books we accounted for and ask for a bill for the three missing. The lady was very nice and said that if I could get a fire report they would forgive the loss. I told her I would do what I could and return. She gave me a big hug and off we went to... the fifth floor. Sacred Mayor's office and the ever powerful City Secretary. She was a brick wall but we were not deterred. Dad and I headed to the Main Fire Station and tried to get through the secretary there. They hire tough chicks here, they did their best, but we got lucky. The chief of the department happened out of his office and dad started in with some "formal" introductions and started talking apparatus and the next thing we knew we had been invited back into the inner sanctum and were lucky? enough to get a report of the evening from the chief's perspective and the formal report that we had been seeking. A few minutes later we left with the report, two coffee mugs and a better understanding and more respect for the Frisco Fire Department. Those guys are committed and they all did their absolute best to save our home. I have no doubt.

After the big meeting we headed to Chuck E Cheese to meet Fred and the boys for lunch and gaming. We had lunch then headed to our first family counseling appt. The boys did well and Fred got a gold star for how he was dealing with the trauma. The boys and I will go back a few more times but Fred got a free pass. Always the overachiever that Fred.

Well, I thought I'd take care of that license situation so we dropped the boys off to Grandpa and Fred and I headed to the license branch. When we found it we were both a bit overwhelmed. There were nearly 100 people waiting in chairs for who knows what. We got to the clerk to find that not only did we need more documentation but we could not get licenses until we had a registered vehicle. Is it just me or would it make sense to license a driver before they can register a car? There was no discussion with the supervisor with a badge and a gun so we left empty handed. Our first stop after that was across the street where we had the van inspected. We got the "green form" that wasn't even green and then headed to the license plate office. Fred called to make sure they were going to be open and found out that we needed cash to pay for the plates. We pulled out "jack" the Garmin and found a Wells Fargo branch. With cash in hand we continued on to the plate office and were so pleasantly surprised. Virtually no line and a very pleasant and calm office worker took very little time to hook us up with plates and give us directions to an alternative drivers license branch in McKinney. So going there on Thursday.

The rest of the evening was pretty mellow. Fred and dad went up to the storage unit to sort and inventory the contents. I am working on some laundry and the boys are just chillin. We like that activity the most.

Tomorrow we are headed to Ft. Worth to check out our clothes. That will take the better part of the morning then maybe we'll try again to get licenses or maybe we'll just swim the afternoon away. fred found some magazines in our stuff at the storage locker so maybe I'll get to steal a few moments of peace? It could happen?!?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds to me life is back to a normal... Running Running Running! Good to hear things are going ok. Only a few more weeks and ill get to see you! Cant Wait!