
So today was the day that we were able to learn the fate of our stuff. The good news is that the couches don't stink, the old TV's are shot and many of our things are going to be just fine. The bad news is that 2 old TV's are shot to we'll need to go shopping, Fred's dad's old Lazy Boy Chair was not recoverable and Nic lost two major pieces of furniture in his room. Multiple other kid furniture pieces are damaged and discolored but we are trying to figure out if we can replace parts or the whole can be repaired. We'll leave it up to our insurance adjuster to get some quotes and we'll talk possibilities when we get back from Indiana.
Now, for the "Seriously?!?" As I was checking over the furniture I was pretty pleased over all. The dining room table that had water pouring on it from the chandelier above is very warped and someone had some ink transfer to it while they were packing, again, we'll get refinish quotes and decide if it makes sense to refinish or replace. The big "Seriously?!?" of the day was the the fact that despite the fact that there is an elaborate tagging and bar code system used to track all of our stuff at some point during the process many items were double tagged and bar code stickers were adhered directly to some of the wood furniture. Now, I learned a lesson way back when, maybe about the time of the Pat Benetar lip sync, that stickers on furniture are not a good idea. Who the helk put stickers on wood furniture? I was torqued and let it be known that I was not happy with the irresponsibility and disregard that they treated my furniture with in sticking STICKERS directly on the wood. Plenty of stickers had been placed on paper tags and then adhered to furniture with wire or even blue painters tape... but what would possess a professional to stick the sticker to my headboard, my wood futon frame, my son's wooden bookcase, Will's bed frame? Can you tell I was a little peeved? Good, I think the guys at BMS got the picture too.
Overall, it is better than we expected. That is good news. We will be putting some of our furniture directly into use at the rental house on Monday. About 90 percent of our other goods that were boxed and cleaned and reboxed will be delivered to us tomorrow. We might be a little crazy accepting all of the stuff but I think we are so anxious to be surrounded by what feels comfortable and I am adamant that we need to protect our stuff from further damage, that we will just take possession of the stuff and keep it under our own watchful eyes.
3 comments:
YEAH!!! So many questions answered. It sounds like you are able to "start" moving forward. Not ON, just forward.
We're eagerly awaiting your visit, but know you'll get here when you get here.
Take care and enjoy packing and unpacking yet AGAIN!
so glad to hear that you will be getting quite a bit of your stuff back. I can understand needing the comfort of the familiar items. Good luck as you continue to recover from this tragedy.
come on sis...use goo gone. STuff's magic!
Post a Comment