So at bedtime last night Nic totally lost it and shared that his first day of school was REALLY bad and he didn't want to go back today. He said that 5th grade is way harder than 4th. When we went in for meet the teacher night last week I noticed that all of the desks were turned around. What I mean by that is that the open sides of the desk were facing into each other so no one can access the inside of their desk. I thought that she just hadn't turned them around yet, well I was wrong. The students are expected to keep EVERYTHING with them throughout the day. The textbooks are kept in the classroom of the teacher so they don't have to carry those but all notebooks, folders, pens, crayons, pencils, glue, eraser, ruler etc stays with them through the day. This is a valient attempt to get them ready for middle school. No bags or backpacks are allowed so it's a zippered binder or a leather strap or some other contraption one could come up with.
We had purchased a 1 1/2" Trapper Keeper for Nic last week but found out really quickly that it is not big enough. Of course this all came up at 9:00PM last night so there was little we could do to remedy the situation. I did run to the 24hr. Wal-Mart to see if I could find a bigger binder but it looked like it had been hit by a bomb in the Back-to-School section and I could find nothing in the form of a solution. Fred did his best engineering to try to streamline his pencil bag and binder; crayons came out of the box, the number of pencils were reduce, extra glue sticks were removed and such. I think it is a great improvement but it is tough for a 9 year old boy to remember the best way to pack a trapper so it can be zipped.
After I took the boys to school today I went straight to Staples and found a 4" zippered 3 ring binder with a carry strap. I never even knew they made such a beast but in my on-line investigations at 12:30 last night I found out that Mead actually makes one that is 5". WOW! I found the binder and also some twistable crayons. These may last longer than traditional paper wrapped crayons because the twistable tube should keep them from breaking. They may be too bulky though, have to check that out.
Well, Nic knew he had no choice about going to school today but he was pretty reluctant all the same. My heart was just breaking last night and I couldn't hold back the tear. Mom's want their children to have happiness, joy and success daily and yesterday did not fulfill those hopes of mine. I am praying for the boy and trying to make coming home good for him. I am making Lime Bars, his favorite, for dessert tonight and I am making Ikea Meatballs for supper so Will should be satisfied too.
Well, I think I am going to take a short nap. The last two nights I have been up WAY late/early working on stuff with Fred and dealing with this school angst. I am beat and this may be my only chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment