Tuesday, November 4, 2008

10 years ago... *with an update*


I was in hard labor at Ft. Sanders Hospital ready to welcome our first son into the world. Fred and I were living in Tennessee at the time and it was just the two of us. no grandmothers trying to storm the room, no anxious aunts and uncles, just Fred and me. It was a scary day that had actually started for me the night before. I remember I had a hard time sleeping and tossed and turn for a few hours. Eventually I gave up and just got up and putzed. I think I paid some bills, I played on the computer and finally around 5AM I woke Fred telling him it was time. He didn't seem quite ready to start his day so he suggested that I lay down for a bit and time the contractions for another hour or so. He slept, I timed and I was right, it was time to go. (We were so happy to have gone into labor on a Tuesday (Oops, I mean Wednesday). We were both very concerned that I would go into labor on a home game Saturday. The hospital was pretty close to the University of Tennessee and we really didn't want to get caught up in the traffic jam.)


Nic was a little stubborn about joining us in the world, I pushed for a LONG time and eventually they pulled out the vacuum and helped him along. He was beautiful and perfect and BIG. We were a family of three and couldn't be happier. A couple of hours after Nicholas was born Fred went back to our apartment to let the dog out and send an e-mail to family and friends. We did not have a digital camera but I think he got a picture off to them as well. After dinner I was wondering where he was, getting anxious for some real food from the outside and I started calling him. Well, this was back in the days of dial up Internet connections so needless to say I did not get in touch with him and I was none to happy about that. I think he eventually called to tell me he was on his way. He probably brought me Chick-fil-A and that made it all better.


Today Nic was more than willing to join the world. He was up and happy today, excited about birthday presents that he found at the bottom of his bed! He brought them downstairs so I could watch him open them. This was also a motivation to get Will moving. We gave Nic a book, 39 Clues, a fan mister, (he lost his fan in the fire) a make your own video game thing and some skull boxer shorts. I am opposed to all the skull and crossbones used in fashion these days but I was willing to buy him some that no one would see. He was pretty excited! Crazy to think he's all ga ga over underwear. It makes me smile though.
Not sure what the plan is for tonight. I offered dinner out or at home. I thought we'd spend a little time watching the elections results. Thankfully Fred and I both voted this morning so no one will be waiting in line after work. I had big plans to catch up on some reading in line and with a short wait, less than 5 minutes, there was no reading happening! Bummer. I'm sure I'll take more pics of the birthday boy. Look for those tomorrow.
*** Update *** So I took a double chocolate chip cookie cake for Nic's treat at school today. As I was getting all the stuff together it dawned on me. This is a milestone i had not considered. I will not deliver a treat to Nic's class again. Middle school is a whole new playing field and there will be no time or location for sharing a juice pouch and some sugar filled confection. Sniff sniff. It makes me really happy that I was able to fulfil his wish of the chocolate chip cookie cake. He had shared this desire a week or more ago and I called the two cookie spots in the mall to hear their outrageous prices before I quickly hung up without placing an order. We decided to go to Sam's this past weekend to check out the options. They have a double chocolate chip cookie cake! We ordered it decorated and with his name on it and I picked it up this morning. It was soft and looked yummy and all the kids were pretty pumped about the treat. Do they realize that this will be the last year for such things...???

2 comments:

Jen said...

I remember the day.... waiting and waiting and waiting and finally getting the call from dad, I think. What a great kid to start your family with!!!!!
All is well here-we'll find out tomorrow if Nic and Will will be aunts or uncles!!! (kidding). Ultrasound at 1pm. News to follow.

Colleen said...

tell Nic happy birthday. It was 9 years ago on Saturday that I celebrated the birth of my youngest daughter.