Sunday, November 16, 2008

A good reminder

I was talking to my cousins today and they were so cute on the phone. These are younger cousins without kids of their own and who are working hard at working and growing up to be AWESOME adults! (Kinda like their parents had hoped they'd be.) Anyhow, my cousin was joking but only a little bit, about wishing that she had the challenges that I had last week. I laughed at first, yeah, who wouldn't just give their right hand to have scared kids, and middle of the night wrong numbers and chirping smoke alarms. Who wouldn't wish for a broken garage door, and arguments with the bank. Well, she's right. I should be grateful for these challenges.


The scared kids are a blessing unto themselves. I am so lucky that they are not frozen with fear and hiding under their beds daily. The fact that a slumber party in my bed helps them settle is actually the best of would could be so much worse. The fact that we have a bed big enough for that slumber party is pretty awesome too!


The middle of the night phone call that was a wrong number means that the police in Mexico weren't calling to tell me something bad had happened to Fred. AMEN!


The smoke alarm chirping is just a reminder that smoke alarms save lives! I should be grateful for the indicators that remind me to make it work properly to protect myself and my family. In addition I am blessed to have had the opportunity to go back to bed once I got the damn thing fixed. Yes, I am so lucky for that, and so are my kids and everyone else I came into contact with
that day as well.
The argument with the bank is my chance to put a face with the problems that Huntington is making for themselves. I am blessed that I can make that argument, I have time to deal with this type of issue, and even though I want my $100+ refund I will not be skipping dinner or not buying important medication until I get the money.


Even getting stranded in my house on Friday was a little blessing. It kept me from getting distracted and running around doing unimportant things when the most important things on my "To Do" list of the day involved my house. The laundry got folded and sorted, the counters and my desk got a little straightening. I made my bed and generally picked up. It needed to be done and it got done. All thanks to that garage door.


So, yes, I live a charmed life. I am well aware of this fact and I hope that I do not take it for granted. Each night as I lay in bed and take a moment to thank God for the blessing of my day I do thank Him for the big and the small and now I realize that I need to thank Him for the good and the bad. It's all part of His plan. I have this magnet on my desk to remind me that I am BLESSED! Thanks for brining this to my attention Teesa.


4 comments:

Erynn said...

Yes you are blessed and keep remembering that.....everything makes us stronger.
You (the crispy house - no longer being called the crispy house, but HOME) is on my list of daily prayers. I did by a prayer journal.
So, time for me to go to bed and write in it. But, decided to check in with you first.
thinking bout you - hope to see you thursday!
E

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're welcome. I am so totally jealous when I read that you were going back to bed. As I sit here in my cubical, listening to these horrible conversations by my co-workers...that my music just won't drown out.

These are the conversations that I hear and I just sit, listen, and think "Seriously? Are we really going to compare husbands?" I try to turn my music up to get rid of their obnoxious noise but then they complain because they can't hear each other over the music... UGH. They are quiet today, so I'll mark that down in my blessings for the day.

We are all blessed. We are all very lucky for the problems we have and not what some other people have. We know we are loved, have a warm place to live, and food in our tummies. (Do I sound like my mother?)

So as I use your blog as my moment in the work day to relax and find out what others are up to, I'll remember that we are all blessed.

You cousin, always looking out for your best interest

Theresa

Sarah said...

I think that my day is bad. Figuring out if N is going to take a nap today. If R is going to eat another sticker or paper towel. If G is going to get into the paint and paint him self. Is T going to make him self limp and cry because he is not sharing the scisors well.
Well N didnt take a nap, but stayed on his cot and looked at books.
R didnt eat her sticker but did say no about 20 times. G didnt get into the paint but took a very good nap today and T did just what i thought he would.

I love my kids and at the end of the day im so happy that their parents trust me to watch them and teach them all day every day.

But the stress of thinking of what they will think of what i tell them at the end of the day just gets to me...

That is why i read your blog to see what not to worry about in life.

Betsy said...

Seems we are all blessed. Thanks for reminding me. Thanks too to FAMILY. We learn from each other.
Mom