Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sealants vs. Cavities


OK. Today was the day that Will needed to go to the dentist for some sealants. The plan was to do his top and bottom last molars on both sides. Well, we settle in, his name is called and he heads back willingly. I am reading along in my novel and then I hear him. Not laughing and joking, but crying Will Baker. Although at the dentist's office he goes by Bill. Don't ask.


I sneak back to see what the issue is and find him sitting upright in the reclines chair with arms crossed emphatically saying how he is not getting the sealants. He was adamant to say the least. I offered a bribe that I had gotten just today, a set of Skippyjon Jones books that I had planned to save for Valentines Day. I tried the "I'm your mom and I said so." the "This is not your choice to make" line and the "You see all the grey spots in my mouth? Those are spots from where I had cavities filled. If I had only had sealants when I was your age." tactic. None of them were as convincing as the "If you give up and don't let us try one tooth, you will be footing the bill for this whole thing." Apparently when it comes to Will... money talks. It was my last attempt and it worked. I would not say that he was totally excited but he became willing and we got the top teeth on each side done. Half the battle won!


The dentist was awesome and his assistant was trying to be patient and explain the procedure to Will/Bill. He is such a turkey. Will that is, not the dentist. I will sending him a thank you note for sure. He suggested we wait a long time, years maybe before we try for the bottom two. Will has apparently inherited my strong gag reflex and that makes procedures like this especially difficult. We'll have to be tenacious about the brushing. He may have inherited my amazing ability to get cavities because my entire mouth is a sweet tooth. We'll be diligent.


OK, so we are home and warm and fed so I think I'll go make that Thank You card for the dentist, a congrats on your new car for a friend at work who also needs a condolence card for the passing of her grandfather-in-law. What diversity in creativity I am up against. I accept the challenge!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Let me just tell you mr. will baker! The cavities will hurt a whole lot more than the sealant which is simply a nail polish like substance(clear of course) that they paint on your teeth to protect them from the sugar bugs! It doesn't hurt! It only helps!

Hey, why not use color sealant ...and maybe some glitter so they Sparkle. Maybe we could start a new trend in mouth decor.

And, being a dentist isn't such a bad profession either! You'd be good!

Granny (says so!)