Sunday, June 15, 2008

Some obeservations at the close of week 1



So we have been in Texas just a bit longer than a full week. It has been a whirlwind of activity and business but I do want to take a moment to note a few observations I have made thus far.


1. It's hot here.

2. There are no small churches and the Super Target is in a league all it's own here. Things are bigger in TX.

3. Did I mention that it is hot here?

4. My boys are not to be ignored. They had a very tough week, some very positive stuff and lots of tear and sad moments. What I mean by the fact that they will not be ignored is that each boy really knew how he was feeling and was very willing to share. Nic was missing daddy last week while he was traveling. Will REALLY wants to meet every kid within a five mile radius. I guess I am happy that they feel safe enough to share that with me. I think it is good to have those open lines of communication. I hope it never ends.

5. If you are hungry... there is food, LOTS of food to choose from. Of course the closest Panera is like 10 miles away but that is maybe not such a bad thing. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

6. We are drinking ourselves out of the fridge. With the heat and hard work put in last week we all seems to be upping the fluid intake. Note to self, buy more juice pouches and more toilet paper.

7. Everyone who is not behind the wheel of a car on a toll way seems really nice. There was a rather non-committal clerk at Target today, but most people seem genuinely friendly.

8. We have a lot of stuff and a house without a basement does pose a challenge. Even with my purging we still have a lot.

9. Kroger is a great grocery store and I am happy to have it in my neighborhood once again.

10. Oh yeah, last but so not least, it's HOT!


I am missing all of my Iowa pals very much and am concerned about the flooding all over the state. I have kept my link to KCCI and am hoping to see improvement in the next few days.


Texas does seem far away but I am hoping to make some connections in the hood, we are venturing to the pool this week, I promised, and I now have all inclusive long distance, I will be in touch!


OK, I must get the last two boxes in the kitchen done. I had a successful Target and Ikea run today and picked up some very useful organizational items. The horizontal pan holder is perfect and the suspended shoe organizer from Ikea is great. I should have bought one more. Guess I'll have to go back! The boys and daddy spent some time and money at Dave and Busters celebrating fatherhood and sonhood and I continued to make the house a home. It will never end.

No comments: