Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Today's sounds of progress

That would be the silent scream and the HUGE sign that I let loose tonight. So today did not go quite as well as yesterday. The sewing machine was dropped from about 10 feet high, the thud thud thud of a tote sliding down the stairs was heard mid-afternoon. The hushed Spanish whispers were spreading throughout the house. Who knows what was being said. As Fred walked the house tonight and he found 3-5 more boxes of miscellaneous stuff... we are less than impressed. There are 25 empty hangers in my otherwise empty closet. Did they think we were leaving those for the new owners, kind of like the attached ones in hotels? They took my broiler pan but failed to pack my two Pampered Chef baking stones. 90% of the kitchen cabinets were empty but why not 100%? These are the questions that race in my head as I prepare to sleep for the last night in State Center.

Let's just add insult to injury of the day that I believe that the movers pack Bob the Monkey, Nic's nightly friend since the precious age of 6 months, when we bought him on clearance at the This End Up store in Knoxville. The only solace to Nic is that if Bob cannot be found in the house he MUST be in a box. It will be a scavenger hunt at the other end, that may prove helpful in getting his room unpacked, to find Bob and hear about his great adventures inside a box for 7 days.

Will has suffered no such loss but has been dealing with belly pain and anxiety most of the evening. I literally sat on the floor in the 1/2 bath for more than 30 minutes coaching him through an excruciating expulsion. It was exhausting for us both. The good news is that it was fruitful, not fruity scented of course, and he will sleep better tonight.

Fred is on a quest to organize what little is left, bless his heart, he can not control it. He just NEEDS order. Don't we wish everyone did. The scary thing is that as he makes order appear from chaos he is whistling.

Let's wrap this up on a VERY happy note! I BIG thank you goes out to Vicki and Andrea, my co-workers and more importantly FRIENDS who helped me with the boys yesterday and today. The thought of the boys sitting here and watching this happen bit by bit is so unappealing. The chaos that is moving is hard to sit back and watch even for me.

OK worker bee is making me feel way lazy. Gotta go help and hopefully get to bed before midnight. I can not take much more of this. We are so getting a late check-out for Friday morning! He can leave early but I am SLEEPING!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Can I make you feel a little bit better? When we moved, Shannen hired the only people available (waited too long... shocking, isn't it?). Anyway, they took their sweet time packing and unpacking and while the rain started to move in THEN decided to get the wooden tables/hall tree/chairs into the moving van... not too brainy, those guys. I knew we were in trouble when they showed up that morning, saw our living room FULL of boxes and furniture we MOVED FOR THEM and they said "Ugh, this is way bigger than we thought." Uh, hello, three bedroom two bath two story house, what did you expect?
So much for my story. Hope yours is an UNEVENTFUL day and that you finally can rest, wherever that might be, tonight. Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

Wernt they late also very late? I just remember loading up our cars to get it going and getting natalie and taking her back to our house...